SciFi Officer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Continued discussion

Go down

Continued discussion Empty Continued discussion

Post  JohnK Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 am

I don't have my meeting notes in front of me, but I'll operate from memory for a bit and update later with more items.

Here's our topics as I recall them.

1. More officers or less officers?
My view: While there are more officers than we need, officers positions encourage volunteerism and people do put them on a resume later. Involvement looks good.
As to elections - it would be nice to make them less divisive. One gaming group games together, votes for their friends, they get elected, other side feels unrepresented or belittled. Happened with myself, Nick, Andrew, Gera, and I vaguely recall it being an issue back into my Freshman year. It's somewhat unavoidable that those who game together will be friends and vote for one another, but if someone can come up with a genius plan to prevent the bitterness that ensues, please share.

2. Rooms for new games / focus on the students instead of non-students.
I can understand a preference for students in a student-run organization. But the thing is, we have games that run two years or more. In two years, or even one year, students become alumni. Do we kick them out? Or what about the FRCC students who will be attending CSU shortly?
Since my games are in the spotlight as poster child for such concerns, here are my stats.
Student 4
Alumni 4 (two started as students when the game started)
Community member 3
FRCC 2 (both attending CSU when they graduate)

It sounded like the main concern is finding room for new games - a possible solution is acquiring classrooms on campus. This did not work out well last year due to an administrative failure (not mine - I have the emails should anyone believe otherwise. I take credit when I fail, but not this time). Perhaps we can try again and things will work out.
Are there other problems here I am not seeing? Would it be better / happier if all non-students left, and if so, ho (immediately on graduation, a clemency period, etc).
I know there are a lot of concerns here - please share them or status quo remains god.

3. Budget Things
We consistently break even / balance the budget with parties and picnics. Is this good enough? Do we want to skimp a bit one year to buy more board games? If so, how many? How do we legally keep track of what we owe?

JohnK

Back to top Go down

Continued discussion Empty Re: Continued discussion

Post  JohnK Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 am

In case you stumble upon this, I intend to send out the email post finals, so I'm not caught up in conversation instead of studying.

JohnK

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W Thu May 12, 2011 7:56 pm

I'll be in town most of the summer so what ever time works

Nick W

Back to top Go down

Post  Ray Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

I don't see the need for more officers. We don't hold many meetings, conflicts rarely come up.

It is difficult to connect with other players if they're not in your game. Maybe we should host small events outside of the LSC for club get-togethers?

More rooms would be fantastic. It would remove player and GM limits, as well as leave less freshmen/new people out in the cold when coming to club for the first time. Buildings near the LSC would be ideal for location.

Breaking even on picnics and things is good, but some money for books and things wouldn't be so bad either. I also feel like people don't realize I have books for rent. While I haven't exactly made a library for people, soon I will be able to keep the books where I can see them consistently and I have been and always will be more then willing to help lend out books. I have two on loan thus far: one I need to get back from someone and the other is being used for a game.

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 pm

I would like to allocate about 200-250 ish dollars to picking up game night games to be held for game night since Alan is graduating and he was the primary supplier for games

Nick W

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren W Thu May 12, 2011 9:23 pm

I agree with Nick. Game night needs games. I am planning on being here all summer but I don't know my schedule yet.

Darren W

Back to top Go down

Post  Shemanda Fri May 13, 2011 12:13 am

First off, i'll be here on and off over summer so as long as there's no surprise meetings, i should be able to make them.

1. More officers or less officers?
I agree with john's view, more positions means the opportunity for more people to vote and be involved or to take something on after voting and be involved that way. On the other hand, i wouldn't be really opposed to either smushing the ones that seem similar though, or maybe adding something to clarify what they do. Unfortunately i think this year we have a PR and a recruiting officer and those are usually my examples of "they kinda do the same thing, why do we need two people". So while it's awesome that we have both of you, you killed my example Razz

2. Rooms for new games / focus on the students instead of non-students.
I think the support we get from non-students it something we should keep around. We do make an effort to put new people into games and if they're feeling unwelcome there because they get in because they're new then that's something we should work on. As far as why i disagree that we should kick out alumni; they tend to be the more experience gamers and GMs and run better games / characters that the new people want to be in or play with. They also bring in more money (that i've seen, at least) to club and a lot of the extra materials that are used and don't belong to club, belong to them.

If the main concern is finding space, i simply don't understand. I've been in club for three years now, going on four and i've literally never once seen a game not run because of space. If this space isn't physical and it's that there's not enough game spots then i don't really know how to fix that. We've run GM seminars before and even offered to run one this past year but no one seems interested (or at least shows up) so the games that are willing to be run are at capacity.

3. Budget Things
About game night, i don't think that setting aside a chunk of cash immediately is a great idea. The entirety of last year's dues would go to Nick's proposed budget and i think that's a little much. Something i like a lot more would be to look around at game stores in the area and see if any of them will work on pricing with us and once we've seen how the waters are on that; then we but one or two games a semester, as needed and as people want them. That way it's not all the same kind of games gotten by the same people and the game selection evolves as game night does. This will also encourage people to still bring their games and to be involved to have input on what we get. Bonus; it doesn't eat a whole years worth of dues in one go.

Shemanda

Back to top Go down

Continued discussion Empty Meetings etc

Post  S.Ovrlrd Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I'll reply to the rest later - as for now, let's plan on meeting next week ( 5-20-2011 )before games (if that time works for everyone). If you can't make it, let me know in advance, so I know how long a meeting to budget for.

S.Ovrlrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W. Sun May 15, 2011 12:36 pm

The estimate is allowing for help from the game stores ie discounts. The estimate is based on what those who are in game night and who show up frequently so they asked for them. As for budget this would rely on sofa funds which I can get approval for this summer once I hear more from Gryphon's who has been in contact with me and Darren. So this would not take from our dues which if I remember right need to be handed to the treasurer which is Darren so I will wait for financial info from the Treasurer.

Nick W.

Back to top Go down

Post  Darren W Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm

I will be gone the 20th to the 25th

Darren W

Back to top Go down

Continued discussion Empty RE: All

Post  JohnK Tue May 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I've replied to each:

Ray It is difficult to connect with other players if they're not in your game. Maybe we should host small events outside of the LSC for club get-togethers?
Me: Sounds good – we do tend to meet only at games. Got any other ideas for times / places? Just mini events? It's a good seed notion.

Ray: Buildings near the LSC would be ideal for location.
Me: Agreed – but the issue we ran into last year was the close rooms are all filled with lame desks and no solid, gaming-style tables. Hence we moved to the Plant Science building (I think. Or animal. Can't recall). That actually had rooms with real tables.

Nick: I would like to allocate about 200-250 ish dollars to picking up game night games to be held for game night since Alan is graduating and he was the primary supplier for games.
Me: A good solid collection would do us some good, but that's the most money I've ever seen bandied about at club. If we are going to justify spending that much to folks (eventually folks will be asking – everyone may be OK now but eventually someone will want to know) we'll need to have a good solid reason we went with Gryphons – i.e. do some comparative shopping.
Our SOFA account is pretty limited as to what it can be spent on. Could you check, as this is your initiative, to ensure that we can spend money in this fashion? They won't let us spend it on food, for example, so this might require an email to slice.
I am uncertain what you meant by, “The estimate is allowing for help from the game stores ie discounts.”
As per the dues discussion, I think Amanda was comparing your proposal to our entire yearly income, rather than saying that she would somehow specifically remove money from the dues. Those are already deposited.
Amanda had a really good point – if we get a few games, we can have that money to spend incrementally on new games as future games come to the club.

Darren & Amanda
Speaking of the treasurer, Darren and Amanda, we at some point need to hoof on down First Bank and get you folks on the account. And on the SOFA account as well.

I've been in club for three years now, going on four and i've literally never once seen a game not run because of space... (also GM seminars) -
Agreed there. I think perhaps the being shuffled to one side can cause an already splintering game to lose momentum, but I think it's a lack of players at the right time more than anything. We had a bunch of folks and games early in the semester. We always do. Then people don't want to GM or get busy with school or what have you, and their players drift away for the same reasons, and the games drop back down to 2 or 3.
I pitched GM seminars once, and it never took off, so if folks think they have a good way to promote or there's a lot of interest, feel free. Otherwise, I think it's mostly that GMing is less of a weekend-simple-relax activity than playing, so it's hard to get GMs.

The constitution rewrite was our focus for a bit there – would it be alright if I did a draft for folks to review, or does anyone want a close hand in things?

Kind regards,
Johnathan Kastner
Supreme Overlord

JohnK

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W Thu May 19, 2011 7:51 am

Regarding why Gryphon's I have visited them and talked over with the owner a discount that would be very worth while and this would also put us back in good graces with them for future events and purchases. The only other game store I know of is the Haunted Game Cafe which has a smaller selection and gets its primary income from its cafe not the games it sells so was less willing to do a discount. And as to the amount well games don't come cheap not for the ones that there is a demand for. I leave you guys with the question as to do we want games for game night or continue to rely on students to bring them?
P.S. if not SOFA funds maybe we can get a donation from our giving alumni I keep hearing about. They obviously want club to flourish like we do so why don't we approach them for a donation of some cash to purchase games.

Nick W

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnK Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Well local is good, but with that much money we'll want to do an online shopping comparison. Save more money, possible. We should at least look into it. I can't see us going forward with an expense anywhere near this without getting a quote at more than two places. We did more than that for the last few parties, and they were a third that cost.

I realize games don't come cheap and the expense certainly makes sense, but we need to think ahead here. The games won't be popular forever. We could set aside that much money, but limit it to a few purchases per semester. That way the library expands as long as game night thrives (and it gives it growth potential).

Could you look into using SOFA funds for this? Since it's an idea you have, one thing I like to do is suggest that the person who suggests it looks into it. If you can't look into it, let me know and I'll see if anyone else is interested.
As to the giving alumni - most of them donate time. I think only a few have donated money. We could certainly hold a fundraiser - what ideas do you have for this? I did some looking and it seems that SLiCE will need to govern any fundraising efforts here.

JohnK

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W Sat May 21, 2011 3:10 pm

So here is some estimates for the games which came to more than previously planned but I will be pursuing SOFA funds as well as "unofficial" donations from students and alumni.
Amazon.com: 454.17
Ebay.com: 453.66
Gryphon's: 352.29
Haunted Game Cafe has not responded with an estimate

Nick W

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W Sun May 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Haunted game cafe got back to me with the amount of 394 and change without some of the games we requested

Nick W

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnK Mon May 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Which games are on the shopping list?

JohnK

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick W Wed May 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Games include munchkin 2,3 Zombies 2, 3 Last night on earth and all its expansions, Arkham Horror and the King in Yellow expansion, Dominion Intrigue Cornocopia Prosperity and Alchemy. Also slice gave the ok to use grant funds for games so no worries there

Nick W

Back to top Go down

Continued discussion Empty 7-06-2011 email copy

Post  S.Ovrlrd Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Greetings all,

The previous amendments to the constitution are likely to pass, as I've received no word from either student or officer against it. A minor tweak - the officer in question in line for succession can refuse the position if they're happy where they are, and we can hold an election if it's a student-only spot with no one to fill it.

We can move on to the harder stuff now - I have notes from prior discussions, so feel free to chime in.

Removal of officer positions: This saw some minor interest but no major support. I'd be fine with the current number of officers, as it gives students something to put on a resume, gets volunteers, and doesn't cost us a dime.

Rooms for games, students in games: We never reached a solid conclusion here. In general, rooms go to the games that get the most votes, and usually we sustain two of those, side by side, each semester, starting with three and with fewer by the end of the year. We can get classrooms set up for overflow games at the start of the year, as a possible solution. I heard people say they wanted rooms closer to the LSC - does anyone know a good building nearby that wouldn't have the issue that student desks don't seem conducive to gaming?

Budget and game night - Since Nick has found that we can spend money on game night, I'd think we should set aside a chunk of the budget for game night, and then do two things. First, dole out a little bit of that money per semester, so that each semester students get to pick new games. Second, starting next semester, get games as donations instead of dues. I'm thinking 50 ish to start and an additional fifty per semester, once we see how donations goes we can think about upping that.

Thoughts? Again, keep in mind that nothing is a policy or set in stone yet. All just notions. Did I miss any of the issues we were discussing?

Kind regards,
Johnathan Kastner
Supreme Overlord

S.Ovrlrd

Back to top Go down

Continued discussion Empty Amanda's Reply

Post  S.Ovrlrd Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:12 pm

From Amanda via email:
engineering has classrooms with long tables + chairs so it's still a classroom set up but it can be worked around and there's room enough to roll dice. As for game night, i'm with you on the $50/semester. i would suggest like $100 for the first and $50 after that if we were going by year but a semester's like 4 months. people can wait 4 months to get the new version of monopoly.

S.Ovrlrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum